How to complete this assignment-Neighbourhood Statistics Canada’
Using the neighbourhood boundaries defined by the Human Early Learning Partnership http://earlylearning.ubc.ca choose a community in British Columbia to investigate. This may be the community (neighbourhood) that you work within, live within or are interested to learn more about. If you are taking this course from a place in the world outside of British Columbia, please contact me (the instructor) to discuss possible ways forward in your specific geographical locale.
Using information from Statistics Canada (provided on link below as ‘Neighbourhood Statistics Canada’) research, identify, summarize and present the relevant statistical data with your interpretations ,that provides a comprehensive picture of families living within your chosen neighbourhood/community. Think broadly and carefully about which data points you consider as relevant to understanding who lives in the community. Ensure statistical neighbourhood data that informs your analysis is from the census data provided. Including information from the HELP vulnerability data, HELP neighbourhood profiles and/or other publications from institutions or coalitions that captures the population of the neighbourhood can be helpful., however your presentation and analysis should primarily be grounded in the Statistics Canada census data provided. (8 marks)
With consideration and reference to the above,
- Write a thoughtful, short reflection addressing what you view as the potential strengths the population in this community may have to offer young children’s learning experiences (6 marks)
- Research, choose and provide information on 2 children’s picture books (appropriate to age 6) that would honour the families living in your identified neighbourhood above. Include the book titles, authors, illustrators and briefly state in your own words how you think the books support and reflect the community make-up (population) of your chosen neighbourhood. (10 marks)
- Research, choose, and share 2 practical, quality and creative artifact/input ideas (for eg. an open-ended play material, decor, design material, sensory input…) that an early learning site in this neighbourhood might include or add to their environment and explain how these artifacts/inputs would offer a respectful acknowledgement and welcome to the families in your identified neighbourhood on an every-day basis. Think broadly and creatively ! (8 marks)
Neighbourhood Statistics Canada.xlsx
Alternate method to access the HELP Census data: google UBC Human Early Learning Project. click on ‘reports’ in the header bar – then click on ‘data library’ in the dropdown list – the scroll down a bit until you see ‘HELP Neighbourhoods with 2016 census data’ – click on that and all their informing census information will appear.
Document style and format
Please include a cover page with your assignment.
Be sure to support your rationale with citations and references to the course material and independently researched material, using APA 7 formatting. For help with APA citation / referencing style and document formatting, have a look at the following resources:
- UBC: Getting started with APA Citation Style
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) APA document format and style
The paper should be approximately 4-6 pages in length, single spaced, with font Times New Roman, size 10-12. In addition to completeness of the paper and depth of understanding evident, overall organization, spelling, grammar and writing quality will also be considered in marking. (3 marks)